There are two main parts to my project:
- To edit and submit my first novel to publication companies
- To begin writing a new novel
Part One: Editing and Publishing
- I had already had written and edited three drafts of my book, In Memoriam, when I entered the Applied Learning Project.
- In Memoriam is about a girl named Brianna whose sister has recently died. While Brianna is mourning her sister's death, she witnesses a murder, and soon realizes that the killer involved is somehow related to her sister's death. As more murders plague the city, Brianna cannot help but get drawn in as she struggles to find out the truth behind her sister's death.
My goals were to:
- Find a Mentor
- Found Robin Mahoney, a self-published author with a great deal of knowledge about the publishing world
- Edit Draft Three
- Finished editing for grammar mistakes, plot areas, character problems, and similar problems by the beginning of October
- Write Draft Four
- Wrote 2,000 words a day for about 2 months until I had finished Draft 4. Draft 4 was about 100,000 words long, or over 300 pages.
- Research publication companies and choose several to submit my novel to
- Eventually chose seven publishing companies; list, along with requirements for submitting my book to each company is included below
- Create any additional materials my chosen companies require
- This includes query letters, a short synopsis of my book, questions I need to answer, etc.
- Submit my book and the additional materials to publication companies
- Submitted by book on New Years' Eve; expecting some responses by the end of the year
Part Two: Writing Something New
Goals were to: